Tuesday 27 March 2007

The Angle for the Bed

Photo: Dad and I sleep on the... couch?

Every night I try to make a play to go to sleep with Mom and Dad on their bed upstairs. Usually I am unsuccessful because they are never in bed before I get put away in my kennel. I mean, who really wants to sleep on the couch anyway- that is the only place that I ever get to sleep with them, otherwise its the kennel! Actually that is a good point, when mom and unfold the futon to sleep on- usually when I am sick or someone is staying over- I have managed to get a permanent place on the futon for the whole night, by whining until they let me out to sleep with them! However, I can't do that when they go to bed, because I am in my kennel and they are upstairs.

However, I did discover one method. I found myself waking up at about 4 am regularly because I had to go potty again- I am just a little puppy with a little bladder. To my surprise, barking twice usually got one of them down there quickly to let me out! I also discovered that if Dad came down, and I shivered a little bit, low and behold I was heading up to bed with them to sleep until morning!

It all started because dad was in charge of getting me up in the morning. He would get up, read the Bible, wash the dishes, drink coffee, and I would sleep on his lap. A few mornings, however, he would be very tired, because of a late night, etc. So he would allow me upstairs in bed for a half an hour or so. Soon I figured out that if he left the door open I could just bolt upstairs and jump into bed with mom. Finally it progressed to the point where when Dad came down, briefly, at 4 am, rather than go back into my kennel, I would go upstairs because he was too sleepy to catch me! However, if mom came downstairs, it was back in my kennel.

Last night, I thought I had one a victory- to spend the whole night in bed. I was put into my kennel as usual, and Dad locked up and turned out the lights. About 15 minutes later, when they were both in bed, there was a banging downstairs. Mom sent Dad down to investigate (turned out just to be the heater restarting and was causing creaking in the furnaces), but because Dad walked past me, I sat up and started shivering. He opened the kennel to comfort me, and like a bolt I was upstairs and in bed with mom! Well Dad just got into bed again, and he and mom had a discussion about what Cesar Milan would think, etc. etc. She called him a big softie, but after ten minutes, she took me back downstairs to my kennel. (Despite my best puppy dog eye attempts on Dad...)

4 AM I started barking, and guess who came down? Dad!

Woof!

No comments: