Thursday 22 February 2007

Weredog!

Wikipedia defines Werewolf as "A werewolf (also lycanthrope or wolfman) in folklore is a person who shapeshifts into a wolf or wolflike creature, either purposely, by using magic, or after being placed under a curse."



I take great exception to this- I mean, just a person shape shifts? Not withstanding that I think I am a real boy, I do understand that I am of the race dog, not a pink fleshy human. And I am closer to wolf than they are! I mean is it fair that a person can become a werewolf and not a dog?

For instance, I am intrigued by the full moon- I love it. When we go out to potty at night, I can see everything because the air is so clear in Oxford- there are so many stars and the moon looks SO big because it is winter and we are at a higher latitude. It is beautiful. On the one occassion that I was in Port Meadow at night, the full moon was tremendous as we watched the sun set and the moon rise. All the water sparkled, and it felt like I was in a different place.

Often I will sit on my mom's lap as she reads or writes her essays to stare out the window of the office at the full moon. People can walk by, cars can drive past, fireworks can go off- but the moon is the most important. The only thing that can distract me is another dog- and that is mostly just to make sure they are not a wolf, or a weredog. (Or maybe to see if they are a ladydog...)

I haven't howled at the moon yet- I don't really know what that means. All I know is that dad said I should howl when I see the moon. I think he said it jokingly when we were outside one night and I was looking at it rather than doing my business so he could go to bed. However, I have never heard a "howl" and I don't really know what one is. All I know is how to make the tuantaun sound I heard on The Empire Strikes Back. I did that at the moon, but it didn't seem very weredog to me.

There are no references to weredog in any encyclopedia. I suppose this is because wer comes from old Germanic English meaning "man" hence- werewolf is "Man -Wolf". A better term for what I aspire to be would be "Caniwolf" from Canine. This would actually be ideal for me: I want so much to be a wolf, but like I said before, English weather and the lack of kennel (den), food, and radiators would be crappy wolf times. But the night there are full moons there is beautiful weather, and I could be a wolf and run free at night, and then be a dog in the daytime, loved by humans. I would bite other wolf-aspiring dogs, but not eat them because I just want to help them. And rather than ravage virgins (??? What is this, it was in the encyclopedia, so I just repeat it) I would eat toast! It is the perfect solution!


My impression of the Caniwulf... the perfect solution to make a dog-wolf hybrid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Winston, you would make an excellent and ferocious caniwolf!