Thursday 15 February 2007

First Day of School

Yesterday night, was my first day of school... puppy classes, and although I was nervous at first, it was "smashing"!

It all started with a walk! Mom and Dad brought two leashes and so many treats! At first we were just walking where we normally walk, but soon I had no idea where we were. All sorts of crazy thing happened- a big red truck with flashing blue lights and a really loud shrieky sound sped by, terrifying me so much that I jumped into the back of mom's legs- unfortunately dad was holding the leash so all that happened was a big tangle, and they got mad at me! I don't know why they weren't scared. Then we saw a train.

2.2 miles later (seriously, we went to Botley- completely left Oxford by walking!) we showed up at this building that was dark outside. I was happy though because I saw another puppy! Her name was Cocoa, and even if she was a little nervous to see me at first, we made fast friends. Cocoa is one of the first dogs that mom and dad have actually let me play with! Then another dog called Quincy came, then another, then another!

I got to sit next to a Scotty dog named Mr. Darcy whose big head and stubby legs made him look funny... he was bad though because he peed on the floor, it was wierd- so much pee for a little dog! The teacher even used a broom to clean it up, and we all tried to attack the broom but we were on short leashes.

Um... I also sat next to another dog, a dalmation named Molly (yes a girl dog), lets just say I didn't like her very much. (Note from Dad- yes Winston got beat up by a girl...)

We learned all sorts of stuff like how to get a treat from a hand when its over our heads, and look at a treat in dad's hand, and run after a treat on a leash, and crawl under dad's legs to get a treat, and eat chicken!

My neck was a little red from straining to get to the other dogs, though, mom and dad were holding me back for some reason, and the linoleum was slippery so I couldn't get to them very easily.

Also, dad said funny things like "Smashing" and "How Lovely" in a loud voice, which made me laugh because he isn't English like I am.

Then we had to walk home, which really stunk, because we had to go 2.2 miles back. However, after only a mile, dad convinced a taxi thingy to take the puppy by paying the driver an extra 5 quid, which was fun because those things are scary when they go past you, and I was nervous on the inside, even though I have been in one before, but dad held me the entire way, and the driver person was happy I didn't go all over.

Hopefully mom and dad figure out how to get a car for the next puppy classes, but I think I am the head of the class (even though I tried to be the class clown, but Mr. Darcy managed to be that) so I am excited to go back, even if I have to walk.

Next week, I'm sure mom and dad will bring the camera to bring some pictures of me, but first, a picture of something I learned!





2 comments:

Benjamin Bengfort said...

The teacher was extremely funny, she was a hard core old English lady, who I think was extremely fond of Winston because he was a staffy and therefore a "real dog" unlike the wimpy other dogs that were there! It was funny how she lighted them.

Winston quickly went to the head of the class, managing every lesson extremely well, and without pooping on the floor, or peeing, or being scared. In fact, Winston was so out going that all he did the entire time was strain to meet the new people, the new dogs, and the instructor!

Winston got as good as he gives, though. He met Molly, a dalmation, and was very polite at first like he normally is. Then he jumped up to play, and Molly smacked him with her paw! Every time Winston tried to go near her, she laid it on him, not letting him get high! It was funny to see him getting beat up by another puppy. But he has always been bold even with bigger dogs in the park.

2.2 miles both ways is a long way, and Winston is tired out, so hopefully we can find transportation for the next times. We'll just factor the cost into the puppy school lessons!

Jacquelyn said...

I should report that Winston's morning lessons (I practice with him in the morning, and Ben practices at night) are going well. Winston is sitting like a pro, laying down well, doing a pretty good come, and "letting me see" all his various parts ("let me see your tail, let me see your tummy, let me see your ears"). The only one he's still working on is following a loose lead--what can I say, the dog loves treats, and he knows easier ways to get them!