Tuesday 11 September 2007

The Best Worst Week Ever... Retrospective Part 2 of 3: PUNTING!

I am a water dog, as my family and I discovered last tuesday when we went... Punting! For those non-Oxford dogs/folks who do not know what that is, punting is an Oxford/Cambridge type thing whereby a flat bottomed wooden boat is propelled through the water using a large wooden pole, often times with hilarious results. There was a lot of discussion before we left whether or not I could swim, and to tell you the truth, given my love of baths, I wasn't too keen on the idea, but as soon as Nana got into the boat, I had to, too! I was straining at my lead trying to get in.

I guess the second part of the story (realy the first) is that we weren't sure whether or not I could even go punting. Who knows how Wolfson would feel about a dog in its punts. So Dad snuck me around the back to get in the punts while everyone else got all the gear from the lodge. They met us at the harbor, and we got going before anyone could say anything! I have to tell you, though, a dog in a punt- not a terrible thing; mostly I sat looking at birds and enjoying the water, it was like a big drink!


After we struggled for a while, we stopped to have a picnic lunch on the side of the river- I even got a little bit of vin rose! It was a lot of fun, I got to have some pita bread, and some apples and carrots, and went chasing around my own little private meadow. It was actually pretty relaxing. I just wish that I had known that dry land is an oppertunity when you are a nautical dog... Later on the trip, I had to pee so badly because I didn't take the chance when I had it!

I started going crazy, whining and running back and forth on the punt looking for a place to go (but it was all like indoors where I can't pee!), I tried to get in the water, but no one would let me do that either! I think my family thought I was getting nervous on the boat and wanted to get back on land... no one thought to hold me over the boat so I could pee! Once we landed, I took the longest pee of my life, it was amazing, I just kept going like a little racehorse. After I was done, I was ready to get back in the punt, but to my dismay, punting was over! I guess such a little dog just can't hold it for 3 hours or so.

Mom and I did have a run in with a Swan. We were just happily punting along (Dad and Nana finally got the hang of it!) When all of a sudden, this Swan came out of nowhere! At first, it looked nice enough, and was probably going to the punt for a handout like it had recieved from other punters. Then the dang thing noticed me... I stood up happily to meet a new friend when it hissed at me! It seriously, hissed, and was pretty scary. But instead of just swimming away (it definately could have swam faster) it followed us for a mile, just hissing at us! It only left when it saw other punters to hit up for food! What's the deal?

What a great day on the water! I have never got to spend so much time outside before, it was really nice, and when I got home, I was pooped- I slept all day! It was awesome! This day almost made up for the clinking I recieved, and had it been the last day, it would have, too bad for short puppy memories!

Woof!

Picture 1: Me watching Dad skillfully navigate the Cherwell River

Picture 2: Look out Mom! Trees ahead!

Picture 3: Picnic on the grass

Picture 4: Mom and I stare down the evil Swan

Picture 5: Nana and I have a relaxing cruise on the water

No comments: