Friday 3 August 2007

King of the Castle

Family! Friends! Dog intelligentsia everywhere!

I'm back from vacation and back in my domain. I guess you could say that my time away was spent at a sort of spa. You know those places where rich people go to do yoga, eat nothing but juice and get colonics? My vacay was similar, but just with a different sort of discipline. And more food.

Jake and Ruth took great care of me, but I was unfortunately forced to live as a dog, often spending up to six hours in my kennel at a time! That was ok, though, because I found that after the first day the kennel time became an almost spiritual experience, where I could go into a zen-like state and meditate on life, doghood, and the water dish. Instead of yoga or Pilates I was treated to vigorous afternoon catch sessions, sometimes with like-minded canine enlightenment-seekers. And, though living on a farm makes a dog stinky, I was allowed to revel in my smelliness--no baths were taken in the two weeks (which, you'll remember, is like three and a half months in dog years). I even got an evening supper delight--little packets of delicious and meaty stew made for fussy little dogs that expect the best, like me!

Anyway, it was fantastic, and eventually I stopped trying to pull Jake back to the car to take me home. I was glad to see my parents again, though, and get back to the life in the lap of luxury; Dad even convinced Mom to let me sleep in the bed for a coming-home treat. And there was a minimum of kennel time today. I will never forget, though, my lovely time at the Jake and Ruth Spa at the Lower Farm.

No comments: