Friday 13 July 2007

The Duck Strikes Back

One of my favourite things to do on runs with Mom is terrorize the ducks that sleep on the end of the canal. Fun for me, fun for them, I thought. Until yesterday.

Mom and I were taking the long route to Fiddler's Island, and I had been sending every duck for at least the last half mile scurrying for cover. And we ran past the next batch, I slowed down because one duck hadn't moved, and I wanted to get a closer look. Mom had just kept running, but I was on the extend-o lead so that was fine. I got closer and closer. The duck just kept looking at me.

Suddenly, with a flutter of wings and a low hiss, the duck leapt into the air and hovered just above my head like a kung-foo movie star! Mom looked back at this point, her mouth dropping open, and yanked me to safety. I was ok, just a little startled and confused. Whatever happened to the natural order of things?

Which leads me to believe that either 1) this duck had a nest nearby or 2) this duck is half duck, half Jackie Chan. Probably the result of some illegal laboratory testing. How do you like those reasoning skills?

Woof!

No comments: